SERVES: 6 / SERVING SIZE: 1/6 RECIPE
Comfort food can be enjoyed even if you want to cook healthier. Phyllo dough makes a fabulously crispy top crust without the fat. Garlic mashed potatoes (page 123) make a great alternative top “crust”.
-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 cup sliced celery
-1 cup carrot, sliced 1/4 inch thick
-1 tablespoon unsalted butter
-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, plus additional, if desired
-3 cups poached chicken or turkey, or leftover chicken or turkey
-1 cup frozen baby peas
-2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
-5-6 sheets (14 x 18-inch) thawed phyllo dough
-olive oil mister
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften. Add celery and carrot and cook 5 minutes to soften. Set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil and butter in 4-quart saucepan. Melt butter. Whisk in flour and mix well. (Mixture will be dry.) Gradually add 1 cup stock to saucepan. Cook 2-3 minutes until mixture begins to thicken and takes on a golden color.
- Add chicken, peas, parsley and additional stock to achieve desired consistency (some like it soupy, some like it thick). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place mixture in baking dish.
- Spray each sheet of phyllo with olive oil mister and place on top of baking dish. Trim edges.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until crust is golden and pie is bubbly.
- Flour mixture must be cooked at least 2-3 minutes to lose the uncooked flour taste.
- Pie plate can be sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or lightly buttered.
3 Lean Meat
Calories from Fat 90
Total Fat 10.0 g
Saturated Fat 2.6 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 390 mg
Potassium 380 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 25 g
Phosphorus 180 mg
(From “The Stress-Free Diabetes Kitchen”, p. 152)
Copyright © 2012 American Diabetes Association. From The Stress-Free Diabetes Kitchen. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. To order this book call 1-800-232-6733 or order online at http://www.shopdiabetes.org . Photography: Renée Comet.