Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
Prep Time: 40 mins | 4-6 Servings
We’re going old school and starting from scratch for this comforting recipe from The College Housewife.Don’t worry, it’s still easy. And it’s filled with hearty vegetables, creamy savory sauce and protein-rich Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna.
- 1 (5 oz) can of Bumble Bee White® Solid Albacore Tuna, drained
- 1 lb dried macaroni or cavatappi pasta noodles
- 3 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sleeve of crackers, such as Ritz, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & cracked black pepper to season
- 1 cup shredded cheese like cheddar or havarti
Preheat your oven to 375 F and grease a 2-quart casserole dish
In a large skillet cook up your celery, onion, and carrots until tender.
In the same skillet make the savory, creamy sauce. Whisk together the butter and flour. Then add in the chicken broth and milk. Season the sauce with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and set aside.
In a large bowl toss together cooked noodles, carrot-celery-onion mixture, sauce, spinach leaves, frozen peas and drained can of Bumble Bee® tuna. I love using Bumble Bee® Albacore tuna because ounce for ounce tuna is lower in calories, fat, sat fat, and cholesterol than even the leanest cuts of beef and chicken. I don’t know about you but I need all the extra healthy points after spending so much time at home these days!
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
Mix up the buttery cracker topping and top evenly onto the casserole with shredded cheese.
Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly!