Tuna Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 40 mins | 4-6 Servings
The dairy-free Mac ‘n Cheese of your dream! It’s loaded with autumn veggies and the tuna packs an extra punch of protein.
Recipe by: Well+Good, Chef Carla Contreas
- 2 cans (5 oz.) Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore
- 1 lb. fusilli, bow ties, or shells, or preferred pasta shape
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp miso paste
- 1-3 drops hot sauce
- 1/16 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 15 oz. fresh ricotta or vegan cheese
- 1 cup kale, thinly sliced in ribbons
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt, plus more for the breadcrumbs
- 3-5 cranks freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil or preferred fat to grease the baking pan
- 2 Tbsp melted butter (non-dairy also works)
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Cook pasta according to the directions, shortening the cook time by one to two minutes, so pasta remains al dente. Drain pasta, leaving 1-2 Tbsp pasta water in pot, and return pasta to the pot.
Stir in coconut milk, chicken broth, canned pumpkin, granulated garlic, hot sauce, nutmeg, and ricotta.
Fold in the tuna (keep it chunky, if possible). Grease baking dish or cast-iron enamel pot, then add in the mixture.
In a separate dish, melt the butter, add the Panko breadcrumbs, season with salt, and fold in the parmesan cheese. Pour breadcrumb mixture on top of the pasta and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes (check regularly, so as not to burn the topping).