Southern Fried Oysters
Oysters in any form will rock our boat, but throw these mouthwatering morsels in a buttery batter and deep fry them to crispy perfection and mmm — go ahead day dream with us for a second.
- 1 can (8 oz) Fancy Whole Oysters, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
Garlic Mustard Dip:
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons mustard
Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in 3 tablespoons reserved oyster liquid, green onion and milk. Stir in egg, salt, margarine and cayenne pepper (if using) until blended.
Dip oysters in batter. Fry in hot oil until golden. Serve with Garlic Mustard Dip.