Japan has given seafood so many great gifts, like oyster tempura. But sometimes you just want a breaded and battered, juicy gobbet of fried oyster without getting on a plane or ordering takeout.That’s where a recipe like this comes in handy.
- 1 can (8 oz) Fancy Whole Oysters, drained
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 large raw egg
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying (1 inch deep skillet)
- Soy or teriyaki sauce
Drain oysters, pat dry and set aside on paper towel lined tray. Prepare vegetables as desired and set aside on dry paper towel. Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
In medium bowl, beat egg and ice water until frothy. Beat in flour, salt, paprika and baking powder.
Dip oysters in batter to coat and place directly into hot oil to fry for 4-5 minutes, turning until golden brown and crisp. Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels or wire racks.
Repeat with selected vegetables (bell pepper, zucchini, or other). Coat, fry and drain. Serve immediately with soy sauce or teriyaki sauce for dipping.