Tuna Vegetable Chowder
Prep Time: 20-30 mins | 4 Servings
Clam chowder is always classic, but we have room in our hearts, and stomachs, for all types of chowder, especially tuna. Nothing warms our soul like a good bowl of tuna veggie chowder. It’s like a blanket of creamy comforting goodness surrounding the best food on the planet, tuna, with a blend of healthy vegetables.
- 3 cans or pouches (5 oz) Tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 cups chopped vegetables*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry (optional)
In a saucepan steam vegetables over simmering water for 5-6 minutes or until almost tender. Set aside.
In large sauce pan melt butter, stir in flour. Add milk and broth, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
Stir in cooked vegetables, tuna, herb, pepper and sherry. Cook for 2 minutes to simmer and heat through.
* Suggested vegetables are broccoli, cauliflower, carrot , zucchini, mushrooms or a combination.