Baked Crab Mac ‘N Cheese
Prep Time: 45 mins | 6 Servings
A crisp breadcrumb and Parmesan crust covers cheesy whole grain pasta shells enveloped with cheddar and gruyere sauce and sweet lump crab meat. This dish is lightened up comfort food at its best.
- 1 can (6 oz) Bumble Bee¨ Fancy Lump Crab Meat
- 6 ounces (3 cups) whole grain macaroni shells
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups 1 percent milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring saucepan of water to a boil. Cook macaroni for approximately 2 minutes less than the directions on the box; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, put cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl that can be covered and microwave until lightly steamed, 2-3 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and finely chop.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and olive oil.
In a large saucepan, whisk the milk and flour together until the flour is dissolved. Whisking constantly, bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the cheddar, gruyere, mustard powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cayenne. Whisk until the cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the macaroni and cauliflower and stir until well coated. Stir in crab.
Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and pour mixture into skillet. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture, bake until top is browned and the cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes.