Baked Crab Mac ‘N Cheese
Prep Time: 45 mins | 6 Servings
Sure, you can always spend more on decadent comfort foods, but this baked crab mac ‘n cheese recipe will make sure you never have to again. A crisp breadcrumb-and-Parmesan crust covers cheesy whole-grain pasta shells, enveloped with cheddar and Gruyere sauce and sweet lump crab meat. It’s contemporary comfort food at its finest and most affordable.
- 1 can (6 oz) Bumble Bee¨ Fancy Lump Crab Meat
- 6 ounces (3 cups) whole grain macaroni shells
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups 1 percent milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring saucepan of water to a boil. Cook macaroni for approximately 2 minutes less than the directions on the box; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, put cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl that can be covered and microwave until lightly steamed, 2-3 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and finely chop.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and olive oil.
In a large saucepan, whisk the milk and flour together until the flour is dissolved. Whisking constantly, bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the cheddar, gruyere, mustard powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cayenne. Whisk until the cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the macaroni and cauliflower and stir until well coated. Stir in crab.
Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and pour mixture into skillet. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture, bake until top is browned and the cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes.