This fall, thousands of people nationwide will join the movement to Stop Diabetes as they walk in the American Diabetes Association’s Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes. Rain or shine, walkers will join together to change the future of this growing epidemic that is taking a devastating physical, emotional and financial toll on our country.
Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes is the Association’s signature fundraising walk event. With strong support from the business community including sponsorship and corporate teams, this event has raised more $150 million over the past 20 years to support the Association’s mission: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
People with diabetes can choose to walk as a Red Strider. A Red Strider is someone who has diabetes – type 1, type 2 or gestational – who can proudly walk as an individual or create a team and walk with friends, family and co-workers. The purpose of the Red Strider program is to support everyone who lives with diabetes and showcase the courage it takes to live with this serious disease.
Reasons why you should Step Out and walk to stop diabetes:
- By walking in a Step Out event in your area, you are joining the American Diabetes Association’s movement to Stop Diabetes and helping to change the future of diabetes.
- You are showing support for the nearly 26 million children and adults in the U.S with diabetes and the millions more at risk. Most people are affected by diabetes or know someone who is affected.
- Research shows you can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58 percent if you lose 7 percent of your body weight (15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds) and exercise 30 minutes a day, five days a week (this can include a brisk walk).
- There is no fundraising minimum, although it is strongly encouraged to raise funds and awareness to support the American Diabetes Association and its mission. As a reward, incentives are given to walkers for varying levels of fundraising.
- There are routes for everyone regardless of age or athletic ability. They range from two to six miles.
- The day of the event is a party to celebrate the accomplishments of all the teams and individual participants as well as an opportunity to promote awareness about diabetes and the American Diabetes Association.
For more information or to register for a Step Out event in your community, visit www.diabetes.org/stepout or call (888) DIABETES (888-342-2383).