- What is Bumble Bee doing in the area of sustainable fisheries?
- Bumble Bee Seafoods takes the preservation of the world’s fishery stocks very seriously. We take pride in leading our industry with the implementation of a corporate initiative aimed at ensuring the world’s canning grade seafood species that we market to consumers (including tuna, salmon, sardines, shrimp, crabmeat, and clams) are sourced from stocks that are harvested and managed in a manner which ensures continued supply for future generations.
- Science is at the core of our approach to fisheries management and independent, science-based assessments of stocks are a key component in ensuring the sourcing of sustainable seafood. We have engaged third party experts to assess our various fisheries to determine if they are being managed in a sustainable manner. Our assessments are based on the latest scientific stock assessments completed by various national and international research bodies and they encompass a number of criteria. These assessments are posted publicly on our website.
- We encourage you to read more about our approach to sustainability on our website http://www.bumblebee.com/sustainability/
International Seafood Sustainability Foundation
- What is the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) and what does it do?
- ISSF is a global partnership among scientists, tuna processors and WWF, the global conservation organization. ISSF’s mission is to undertake science-based initiatives for the long term sustainability of tuna stocks, reduction of by-catch and promotion of ecosystem health, largely by supporting the conservation recommendations of tuna Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMO) scientific committees.
- Bumble Bee is a founder of the ISSF which was established in 2009. You can learn more about ISSF and its ongoing work at http://www.iss-foundation.org/home
back to top
Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation
- What is the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation and what does it do?
- The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation is a first-of-kind national initiative formed to help reduce obesity, particularly childhood obesity, by 2015. As a founding member, Bumble Bee has extended its commitment to health and wellness by teaming with a growing coalition of retailers, non-governmental organizations and food and beverage manufacturers in a multi-year effort to encourage behavior change and provide consumers with the tools to achieve a healthy weight through energy balance.
- You can learn more about HWCF and its ongoing work at http://www.healthyweightcommit.org
back to top
Connect With Us