8 Nutritious On-The-Go Snacks for Holiday Shopping
Anyone get a serious case of the hangries while holiday shopping? Whether you’re sitting at your computer, braving the stores, or a bit of both, when you’re doing it on an empty stomach your body and mind are not functioning at full capacity (that could mean some strange gift choices for your loved ones!)
Having well-balanced snacks on hand can make all the difference. Here are 8 snacks you can keep with you to nosh on while on-the-go.
- Fruit & nut butter wrap : This is one of our oldest standbys. Customize it based on the type of fruit and nut butter that you love most (almond butter and pear, strawberry and peanut butter, cashew butter and figs are a few of our favorite combinations). Wrap it up in foil and it will stay yummy for hours.
- Lärabar® : These are some of our favorite bars because they contain a short ingredient list of just fruit and nuts, which provides a great combination of healthy fats and carbohydrates for energy. They come in a variety of awesome flavor combinations and are substantial enough to keep you satisfied.
- Rx Bar® : These use egg whites as a protein base and contain only whole food ingredients. There are enough flavor combinations for everyone, with options like mint chocolate chip, mixed berry, dark chocolate sea salt, and more.
- Bumble Bee® Seasoned Tuna Pouch with Spoon : It’s hard to find something savory that you can truly take on-the-go, but these tuna pouches make it easy. They come in a variety of delicious flavors and include a spoon, so that all you need to do is open the pouch and spoon the tuna onto some crackers for a protein-rich snack.
- Oatmeal Cookie Energy Bites : Double or triple this recipe so you have these on hand at all times. They freeze well and make the perfect sweet pop-in-your mouth snack while you’re heading to the next store.
- Roasted Crunchy Broad (Fava) Beans and Chickpeas : There are a few different companies that make these, including these Enlightened Snacks Bada Bean Bada Boom beans and Biena chickpea snacks. Both kinds of roasted beans are deliciously crunchy and packed with nutrition including fiber, B vitamins, and protein.
- Starbucks® Egg & Cheese Bistro Box : Starbucks® has several balanced options and this is one of our favorites (for kids too!). It contains hard-boiled eggs, grapes, cheddar cheese, apple slices, multigrain muesli bread and honey peanut butter. It’s enough for a light meal or large snack, easy to eat, provides protein along with fiber, carbohydrates and healthy fats to help you stay satisfied for longer.
- Cashew, Cranberry, and Chocolate Trail Mix : Mix-up some pre-portioned bags of this mix, which has a combination of healthy fats and carbohydrates from the nuts and fruit, plus chocolate, which may boost your mood!
For more deliciously simple recipes, check out these tuna recipes you can make with five ingredients or less.