Pumpkins and pumpkin pie are trademark sights and smells of fall. The flavors and aroma of something prepared with pumpkin pie spice (a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves) can instantly add a comforting flavor of fall to meals and snacks. In general, we’re big fans of using herbs and spices to add flavor to foods, and they often come with nutrition perks too! You can instantly turn your year-round recipes into fall specialties with the simple addition of pumpkin pie spice.
Here are some of our favorite (and super easy) ways to use pumpkin pie spice.
1. Batter up: Add about 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice per 1/2 cup of pancake or waffle batter. Need a good and healthy pancake recipe? Try this trail mix pancake recipe, but add in pumpkin pie spice, substitute the nuts with pumpkin seeds, and leave out the berries for truly fall inspired pancakes. Alternatively, try adding pumpkin pie spice to your regular French toast recipe.
2. Pumpkin spiced popcorn: Spray air-popped popcorn with canola or olive oil (or cooking spray), then immediately toss with a pinch of brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and a dash of salt for a delicious popcorn snack.
3. Add to roasted winter veggies: Toss winter vegetables such as butternut squash, acorn squash, or carrots with oil, salt, and pumpkin pie spice before roasting for a holiday-inspired side dish.
4. Add to your morning brew: Sprinkling pumpkin pie spice into your coffee grounds before you brew allows you to create your own seasonal cup of Joe!
5. Pumpkin pie smoothie: Creamy and satisfying, this smoothie incorporates pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, and is the perfect way to start a fall day in a healthy way.
Feeling like making your own pumpkin pie spice? Here’s the recipe: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/pumpkin-pie-spice-recipe/
What are your favorite ways to use pumpkin pie spice?