I know you’ve heard it before, “Failure to plan is planning to fail.” While I don’t want to sound redundant, the only way to create a workout regimen that you will stick to is to plan it out in advance. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Pick one day a week to plan. For me, this is Sunday. Sit down with your weekly calendar and decide how many days of exercise you can commit to based on your goals and schedule. Someone training for a marathon may need to schedule far more hours than someone who is just looking to get in shape or stay in shape.
- Be Held Accountable. Keep a fitness journal and hold yourself accountable for your workouts. Sometimes even posting about it online, or asking a friend to follow up gives you that extra motivation so you don’t skip a workout. Idea: Every time you log your miles, post it on Facebook or Twitter to show your friends and family what you’ve done.
- Rest. You heard me correctly, schedule rest days too. Always listen to your body and give it a break when it asks for it.
- Mix it up. Schedule time to try new activities like Zumba or Yoga, or outdoor activities like kayaking or hiking.
- Make it Visible. Put your workout plan somewhere you will see it every day.
- Workout for a Cause: Log your miles on BeeWell for Life and know that every step is helping a worthy cause!
What helps you stick to your workout schedule? Where do you have a hard time?