- If you happen to have any questions or concerns regarding an order placed on the Bumble Bee Webstore, please contact our Consumer Affairs group at 1-800-800-8572.
American Heart Association certification
- Are Bumble Bee’s products certified by the American Heart Association?
- We work very closely with the American Heart Association. To the extent that our products meet their criteria, we have them certified. Just look for the heart-check mark on certified products. The only exception is our Bumble Bee Sensations Tuna Medley products (Lemon & Cracked Pepper as well as the Tomato & Basil) which are certified but do not feature the mark just yet.
- Are all Bumble Bee tuna caught from wild stock?
- Yes. All Bumble Bee tuna are wild-caught using sustainable fishing methods.
- Is Bumble Bee Salmon packed with wild or farmed salmon?
- All of Bumble Bee’s traditional skin-on, bone-in salmon products, as well as our premium skinless and boneless salmon packed in water and pouched salmon products are wild salmon caught in the open ocean or in the clean inlets and bays of Alaska.This includes all salmon originating from Alaska (Product of USA), Canada and Thailand.Only our premium Bumble Bee Skinless and Boneless Smoked Salmon in Oil (which has very limited distribution) and the Bumble Bee Atlantic Salmon are packed with farm-raised salmon.
back to top
- Are Bumble Bee products Organic or Certified Organic?
- Bumble Bee products are currently not certified Organic. There is no US regulation established to determine organic seafood. Until such regulation is passed, we cannot make any organic claims.
back to top
- How long will my canned or pouched products last in storage?
- Bumble Bee products are printed with a Best By date for recommended best quality use. Commercially canned (tuna, salmon, sardines, clams, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, scallops, jack mackerel) or pouched (tuna, salmon) products may be safely stored for several years as long as the cans or pouches are not bulged, leaking, or otherwise damaged and the seams are intact. (If these conditions are present, the product should of course, not be consumed.) Palatability (taste), however, may be affected over prolonged time periods, especially under adverse storage conditions. For example, the palatability of product stored at high temperatures will be adversely affected during a shorter time frame than product stored at moderate or cool temperatures. It is recommended, therefore, that canned or pouched seafood inventories be rotated every one to two years to assure the best quality. It is not considered advisable to freeze seafood products in unopened cans or pouches. However, once cans or pouches are opened, any unused contents should be immediately refrigerated and utilized within one to two days. Opened product can also be transferred to, and frozen in plastic bags or other containers suitable for freezing.
- Can I ship Bumble Bee products to our military troops in hot countries?
- Yes. All Bumble Bee canned and pouched products are shelf-stable and can safely withstand storage temperatures from just above freezing to about 131°F (55°C). Bumble Bee products can therefore be shipped to military troops serving in hot countries.
- My cans froze – can I still use them?
- Freezing may compromise the seals of cans, bottles or pouches depending on the length of time the products remain frozen; therefore, we do not recommend that unopened products be intentionally frozen. On occasion, products may have been unintentionally frozen (e.g., left in the trunk of the car during winter). These products should still be usable. Because we cannot guarantee the integrity of seals that have been frozen, we recommend that the products be used immediately after inspecting the packaging for damage. Products with obvious damage to the package should not be used. A slight degradation in product quality may be expected after freezing.
- Can I refrigerate my unused product in the can?
- Unused products may safely be refrigerated in a clean covered plastic or glass container for up to three days.
back to top
- I can’t find my favorite Bumble Bee products on my grocery shelf, where can I find it?
- Grocery stores are constantly changing the products that they stock. If you can’t find one of our products in your local grocery store, let the manager know so they can order it. Another option is to find if other local grocery stores carry it by using our Product Finder tool.
- Why can’t I find Libby’s Seafood products anymore?
- Libby’s Premium Tuna and Salmon have long been packed by Bumble Bee. Now, they are exclusively available under the Bumble Bee label. The same consistent premium quality seafood products that you’ve enjoyed with Libby’s you can expect from Bumble Bee. In fact, Bumble Bee has been producing and packing Libby’s brand products for many years. It is simply now more efficient to sell all seafood products under the Bumble Bee label. As the national leader in canned seafood, you can depend on Bumble Bee to meet or exceed the quality standards of competitive brands.
back to top
Nutrition fact values difference
- Why are Nutrition Facts different on my cans of tuna?
- Differences in catch location, water depth or temperature, and diet of the fish can affect the nutritional content of the fish. It has been specifically demonstrated that the fat content of smaller fish caught close to the surface of the water is generally higher than for large fish caught in deeper water. To meet the ongoing demand, fish from both types of catch locations must be utilized. Separate label declarations have, therefore, been developed to ensure Bumble Bee products are accurately labeled for nutritional content. Please note, however, that regardless of source, all our seafood are excellent sources of protein.
- Where can I get Nutrition Facts if it is not on my package?
- Some of our small packages (e.g., sardines) may not have a Nutrition Facts panel. You may request nutrition information through our Contact Us page or by calling us at 1-800-800-8572 or by writing to us at the address found on the label.
back to top
What is the difference between “Solid White” and “Chunk Light” tuna?
- What is the difference between white tuna and light tuna?
- White tuna and light tuna are different species of tuna that are packed in cans. Only albacore (Thunnus alalunga) is considered “white tuna.” Other species, commonly skipjack, yellowfin, tongol, or big-eye are called “light tuna.” There is a noticeable difference in color and flavor between white and light tuna.
back to top
- Why is my white tuna not always “white”?
- Albacore is classified as “white” tuna, but there are several factors, which can produce visible can-to-can variations in color. It has been determined through research and processing experience that factors such as location where caught, water depth and temperature, and diet of the fish can affect the appearance, odor, flavor, and /or texture of the fish. This natural variation in raw fish is common to the tuna industry and is sometimes reflected in the finished product. For example, the color of albacore can vary from nearly sheer to light pink, beige, or tan and still meet established color requirements. Also, fish that have a slightly softer texture than others break up more easily during and after canning, which can affect the appearance of the finished product. You can be sure, however, that only good quality fish are used in Bumble Bee products.
- Why is my tuna pink – is this cooked?
- All canned tuna are fully cooked – twice! Pink tuna may be a result of color variations in the flesh of the fish caused by the differences in blood supply.
back to top
- Why does Bumble Bee add vegetable broth to canned tuna?
- Vegetable Broth is added to our canned tuna products as an optional flavoring ingredient. It enhances the flavor of tuna, resulting in a milder, more delicate taste. The broth currently used is derived from two or more of the following vegetables: beans, peas, celery, green & red bell peppers, onions, parsley, garlic or carrots. The broth also generally contains a soy protein, which is why some of our products declare, “Contains soy.”
back to top
- Why did I find a bone in my canned tuna?
- Bones are occasionally present in canned tuna although every reasonable effort is made to remove them. Highly trained personnel trim the loins entirely by hand. After this process, the loins are inspected several times for the presence of any bone pieces. Through this series of inspection steps, we are able to remove nearly all bones. The high heat sterilization process, after the fish has been canned, will normally soften them to the point where they will easily crumble; however, despite our meticulous quality control, there are rare occasions when a piece of bone is deeply embedded in the fish and is overlooked.
- Why are there skin and bones in my canned salmon?
- Regular canned salmon is packed with sections of the salmon, and will include the skin and bones. The size and quantity of bones and skin in canned salmon will vary from can to can depending on the size of the fish. The high heat sterilization process softens them to the point where they can be easily mashed and blended into salmon salads, casseroles, and other delicious meals. There is no waste in canned salmon — the liquid, skin, and bones are all edible and supply important nutrients such as calcium and phosphorus.For your convenience, we also produce a Boneless, Skinless line of Salmon products.
back to top
- I found something that looks like glass in my canned tuna/salmon – what is it?
- Don’t be alarmed by glass-like crystals that you may find in your canned seafood. They are simply struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate), a naturally occurring mineral, that develops in the can during storage. They are sometimes present as small crystals that impart grittiness to the product or they may occur as crystals 5-8 mm long. Struvite is not harmful and will readily dissolve in the digestive juices of the stomach.How can struvite be distinguished from glass? Place crystals in a few drops of hot vinegar and they will gradually dissolve, while glass will not.If you have any concerns or questions about struvite, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are more than happy to answer your questions and always make it a priority to ensure that our customers are satisfied.
back to top
Connect With Us