San Diego, Calif., January 25, 2007 — Leading North American seafood and shelf-stable foods brand, , is launching new Easy Peel Sensations Seasoned Tuna Medleys — low-calorie five-ounce size medleys of lightly marinated, seasoned light tuna packed in convenient easy-to-open foil top cans.
Easy Peel Sensations Seasoned Tuna Medleys are available in three seasonings, including Spicy Thai Chili, Sundried Tomato & Basil, and Lemon & Pepper. Packed in lightweight, portable and recyclable aluminum cans, they feature innovative, peel-able foil lids that are convenient and safe for everyone from kids to seniors.
According to Bumble Bee Seafoods’ Chief Executive Officer Christopher Lischewski, the tuna medleys are flavorful and nutritious, as well as ideal for today’s on-the-go lifestyles. “Our new Easy Peel Sensations Seasoned Tuna Medleys are low in calories and carbohydrates while high in healthful proteins, and a good source of omega-3 fatty acids,” said Lischewski. “Simply peel them open and create sensational sandwiches, salads, pastas, dips and more. Plus they are perfect for stocking up the office drawer for a low-calorie snack or lunch.”
“We introduced the five-ounce Easy Peel Sensations Seasoned Tuna Medleys based on the popularity of our three-ounce snack-style, seasoned tuna kits with crackers available in the same three flavors,” Lischewski continued. “There’s been overwhelming demand for our brand to produce these snack-size options in larger servings and we’re pleased to make them available.”
The Easy Peel Sensations were recently previewed at an exclusive luncheon at The Culinary Loft in SoHo, New York. Media food editors were invited to sample a menu selection featuring the new products in creative yet simple recipes developed by noted Food Author and Food Consultant Joie Warner. Warner—a best selling, award-winning cookbook author—is one of the country’s most prolific authors in her genre with over 25 cookbooks. Currently working on a new book to accompany her upcoming PBS cooking special and television series, she has created a variety of recipes for each Easy Peel Sensations product with unique complements of easy-to-prepare ingredients.
Easy Peel Sensations Seasoned Tuna Medleys are available in supermarkets nationwide. Suggested retail price is $2.49 per five-ounce can.
The three-ounce Sensations™ snack kits with crackers can also be found in grocery stores nationwide, and the individual three-ounce snack-size cans are featured in select domestic airline in-flight meal boxes.
Fresh Salad Spring Rolls with Easy Peel Sensations
Lemon & Pepper Seasoned Tuna Medley
Recipe developed by Joie Warner – award-winning, best-selling author of over 25 cookbooks. Visit her online at www.joiewarner.com.
A fabulously fresh tuna salad – with all the tangy tastes and textures you love in Thai and Vietnamese food – is wrapped in translucent spring roll wrappers. These beautiful, summery rolls taste best prepared just prior to serving to preserve their fresh, crisp flavor. And that goes for the lime-dressed cabbage and carrots as well. The red pepper strips and lettuce shreds can be prepped a few hours in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Once everything is placed on the work surface, the assembly goes very quickly. The rice paper wrappers and Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce are available in Asian and some supermarkets.
About 3 packed cups (6 ounces) store-bought, ready-to use shredded cabbage and carrots (coleslaw)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
24 round (6-inch size) Vietnamese rice paper wrappers
Hot tap water for softening the wrappers
About 4 large green-leaf lettuce leaves (the “frilly” lettuce), sliced into strips (about 1/4-inch wide) plus extra for presentation
1 large (about 9 ounces) red bell pepper, seeded, de-ribbed and cut into strips (about 1/8-inch wide)
1 5-ounce can Easy Peel Sensations Lemon & Pepper Seasoned Tuna Medley
Handful of very fresh bean sprouts (optional)
1 small bunch very fresh mint
- To make the coleslaw, toss the shredded cabbage and carrots with the fresh lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chili flakes. Set aside for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to soften. Have all of the remaining ingredients in separate bowls at the ready.
- To assemble, place a large bowl of hot tap water on your work surface. Lay out a clean dish towel next to the water. Working with about 6 at a time, dip a spring roll wrapper into the hot water, holding it for about 20 seconds or just until softened, then carefully remove it and lay it flat on the towel. Repeat with 5 more wrappers, laying them next to each other without touching.
- Place about 6 shreds of lettuce in the center and near the top of each wrapper with some of the shreds extending a little beyond the top edge.
- Arrange 2 to 3 strips of red pepper vertically on top of the lettuce, allowing them to extend a little beyond the top edge.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the coleslaw over the pepper strips, leaving behind most of the dressing.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of Easy Peel Sensations Lemon & Pepper Seasoned Tuna Medley per roll over the coleslaw, breaking it up a little, if necessary.
- Arrange 3 or 4 bean sprouts (if using), vertically on top of the tuna, with the yellow sprouts extending a little beyond the top edge. Now place a mint leaf in the center of the filling.
- Fold the bottom of each wrapper up to cover most of the filling. Bring one side of the wrapper over to the center and continue to roll as tightly as possible – being careful not to tear the wrapper — to enclose the filling with the rolls open at the top showing the vegetables. Tuck a mint leaf in the open end, so it looks attractive. Continue with the remaining rolls.
- To serve, arrange some (not too much) shredded lettuce on a serving dish (preferably white). Lay the rolls on the lettuce in a spoke pattern, leaving a space in between each one. Place large mint sprigs in between the rolls.
- To serve with a dip, spoon any remaining lime dressing from the coleslaw into a small dipping bowl, sprinkle with a pinch more red pepper flakes, and place it in the center of the plate of spring rolls. Serve at once.
Makes about 28 spring rolls
NOTE: This recipe is easy to double, triple and so on. But don’t double, triple, or quadruple the coleslaw. It is best to make it in small amounts each time, just before starting on the next batch of 28. The coleslaw becomes too watery and loses its fresh flavor if it stands too long.
© copyright 2006 FLAVOR PUBLICATIONS, INC.
Recipes from the Bumble Bee Culinary Loft luncheon featuring Joie Warner can be found at www.bumblebee.com and www.joiewarner.com.
About Bumble Bee Seafoods:
Bumble Bee Seafoods, headquartered in San Diego, is the U.S. operating subsidiary of Connors Bros. Income Fund (TSX:CBF.UN) – a limited purpose trust established under the laws of Ontario, Canada. Bumble Bee Seafoods comprises North America’s largest branded seafood company, offering a full line of canned tuna, salmon, sardine, and specialty protein products marketed under leading brands including , Clover Leaf®, Brunswick® and Beach Cliff®. The Bumble Bee brand has established significant consumer awareness and loyalty based on the superior quality of its protein products. For more information on Bumble Bee, visit www.bumblebee.com
Note to Editors:
High resolution product and recipe photography is available electronically. Additional recipes by Joie Warner are also available electronically.