Here’s a summary of what we’ve updated:
- Add Intellectual Property Procedure
This Policy applies to personal information collected, processed, or stored by bumblebee.com, and via Bumble Bee’s mobile applications (accessed through your mobile device) (Collectively, “Services”).
This Policy explains:
- What We Collect & Share
- Why We Collect & Use Information
- Our Use of Information Technologies
- Managing Your Preferences
- Ownership of Consumer Data
- Additional Disclosures (including COPPA, California Privacy Rights)
- Safeguarding Information
- Intellectual Property Procedure
Your access to and use of our Services means you agree to the terms in this Policy and our Terms and Conditions.
Bumble Bee collects personally identifiable information from a variety of sources, including: information provided by you, transaction information, technology-enabled services, and information we collect about you from third party sources. The following are select examples of the types of information we may collect and share:
- Information you provide: (FUL, ADV, OPS, SEC)
- We or our third party service providers collect various information when you subscribe, place an order, or take advantage of other programs online. Personal Information we or our service providers may collect includes: Name, Address (billing and shipping), Zip code, email address, Telephone number(s), Cellular phone number(s), Birth date (to confirm over age of majority), and Security question answers. If you purchase a product from our on-line store, you will be redirected to a third parties website to enter your payment information, such as PayPal. Bumble Bee does not have access to your payment information, such as credit card number or bank account. (To express your preferences related to information you provide to Bumble Bee, go to the Manage Your Preferences section below).
- Technology-Enabled Collection Services: (FUL, ADV, OPS, SEC)
- We collect data when you visit our website, use our mobile application, shop in our on-line store, or interact with our other services and technologies. This information is either automatically collected or is consumer initiated. (For more details, see Our Use of Information Technologies section below).
- Transaction Information: (FUL, ADV, OPS, SEC)
- Transaction Information includes products purchased and date and time of your transaction, for online purchases.
- Third Parties: (FUL, ADV, OPS, SEC)
- We may receive your updated shipping information from a third party carrier.
- We may collect or use information made available to us through third party platforms, online databases and directories, or other means. We specify that data sourced from a third party must be legitimately and legally obtained. Some or all of this information may be governed by the privacy statements of the third party.
- We may share information with third parties who provide services to us or who work with us to offer products or services online.
- We participate in consortiums with partners to share information or match (look alike or similar) customer data. When shared, this information is de-identified or anonymized.
We never require that your Personal Information be provided in order to gain access to our sites.
We may use the Personal Information we collect for the following primary reasons:
(1) Product & Service Fulfillment (FUL)
(2) Marketing, Promotions & Advertising (ADV)
(3) Internal Operations (OPS)
(4) Fraud Prevention, Security & Compliance (SEC)
We may combine information collected from different sources (see section on What We Collect & Share above). Below is a summary of some of the ways we collect and use information:
1. Product & Service Fulfillment (FUL)
- To complete, fulfill, manage, and communicate with you about transactions;
- To establish and service your online profile on one of our websites or mobile applications;
- To provide customer service and alert you to product or shipping information; and
- To administer loyalty programs (e.g., Bee Bucks®).
- Marketing, Promotions & Advertising (ADV)
- To deliver information about our products, Services, and promotions (e.g., personalized offers delivered to your email, third-party sites or applications, and mobile devices);
- To identify product preferences and shopping preferences (e.g., services and promotions of possible interest); and
- To administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, surveys, and polls.
We periodically run contests and sweepstakes on our sites for which we ask users/participants to provide contact information (like their e-mail address). This information is used to contact the participant only when necessary in accordance with the rules of the contest or sweepstakes.
If a participant has indicated upon entering a contest or sweepstakes that he/she is under 13 years of age, the participant is instructed to enter the e-mail address of his/her parent or guardian. Further, for any game or contest where the screen names of the high scorers are posted, a user under 13 can only select a generic screen name from a list that has been developed in advance. This prevents the disclosure of any personally identifiable information.
When a participant under the age of 18 is selected as a prize-winner in a contest or sweepstakes, an e-mail is sent to the parent or guardian. This e-mail contains a form that requests the participant’s real name and address and a parental permission form. For the participant to receive the prize, the parent or guardian must fill out and sign the form and then mail or fax it to the address or number indicated on the form.
Polls & Surveys
Information gathered from polls and surveys are only for internal use of Bumble Bee. If sample answers to polls or surveys are posted on the web site, then no identifiable Personal Information is ever included.
- Internal Operations (OPS)
- To improve the effectiveness of our websites, online store, mobile applications, product and Service assortment, and customer service;
- To conduct research and analytics related to our operations; and
- To perform other logistics and operation activities as needed.
- Fraud Prevention, Security and Compliance (SEC)
- To protect our assets and prevent fraudulent transactions;
- To validate credentials and authenticate consumers when logging into your online profile, applications, or transacting in our online store;
- To protect the security and integrity of our Services and our data; and
- To assist law enforcement and respond to legal/regulatory inquiries.
The rest of this Policy refers to the collection and use of the codes above (FUL; ADV; OPS; SEC). This is so you can better understand why we collect and use different types of information in accordance with our Policy.
The following section describes various types of technologies we use when you interact with us online, through our mobile applications or shop in our on-line store, and your choices regarding those technologies:
Cookies, Pixel Tags, and Flash Cookies (FUL, ADV, OPS, SEC)
A Cookie is a small piece of computer code sent by a website and stored on the hard disk of your computer. A pixel tag (also known as a tracking pixel, web beacon, or clear GIF) is an embedded image on a website that may register a user’s website activity.
The cookies Bumble Bee uses do not contain any personally identifying information and cannot profile your system or collect information from your hard drive. And although you may receive cookies from many different sites, each cookie can only be read by the Web server that originally issued it. You are not even identified by name or e-mail address, just by a unique string of numbers that we assign the first time you come to our site.
At Bumble Bee we use two kinds of Cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies exist only for as long as your browser remains open. We use session cookies, for example, to manage items added to your shopping cart. Persistent cookies last from visit to visit; they do not go away when you exit your browser. We use persistent cookies to enable an easier log-in process, give you a more personalized shopping experience, or help you navigate our website more efficiently. For example, we use persistent cookies to show you items you have previously browsed.
For options to manage your Cookie Preferences, please see Managing Your Preferences section below . If you block cookies from bumblebee.com or our service providers, you might not be able to make purchases on our on-line store.
Website Optimization Services (ADV, OPS)
Bumble Bee shares data with our service providers’ tools to understand and optimize website performance and enhance site usability for our consumers. These tools run in the background of our sites analyzing site usage information and then returning reports to us through an encrypted connection. Our service providers are required to maintain data securely and confidentially, and are not permitted to share data collected with parties other than Bumble Bee. Bumble Bee does not collect credit card or password data through these tools.
To manage your Website Optimization Service Preferences including anonymous browsing and opt-out options, click here.
Interest-Based or Online Behavioral Advertising (OBA) (ADV, OPS)
Bumble Bee uses third-party advertising companies to serve interest-based advertisements. These companies compile information from various online sources (including mobile-enabled browsers and applications) to match user profiles with Bumble Bee ads we believe will be most relevant, interesting and timely based on that user profile.
For additional information on interest-based advertising and options for managing preferences, see the Managing Your Preferences section below.
Social Network & New Tech Advertising Programs (ADV)
Bumble Bee has relationships with several social networks and new tech companies. These companies have specific Interest-Based Ads programs that match people that have shown interest in Bumble Bee through our website or other services with their profiles (such as on Facebook) and platforms (such as Facebook and Google properties). This matching allows us to deliver relevant, interest-based ads on those companies’ networks.
For information about managing your preferences for these programs, see the Managing Your Preferences section below.
Do Not Track (DNT) (ADV, OPS)
Bumble Bee does not currently recognize and process Do Not Track signals from different web browsers. Consumers may manage their preferences for tracking across sites in the Interest-Based Advertising section above. For more information on Do Not Track please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.org.
Bumble Bee’s Mobile Applications (FUL, ADV, OPS, SEC)
Bumble Bee offers mobile applications that you may download from your phone or smart device’s “app store” as well as apps that you can download from your Internet-connected devices (e.g., smart television).
Bumble Bee’s mobile applications, with your permission, may use your device’s camera, microphone, or location information to enable features or services. For example, geolocation (e.g., GPS) can help you find a nearby store selling our Products or learn about upcoming nearby store events featuring our Products.
Bumble Bee’s Mobile Application Preferences are managed in the Bumble Bee’s application and through your device’s settings.
This section details, in one place, how you may express preferences including electing to opt-out of some data collections or uses.
Our sites will provide users the opportunity to opt out of receiving communications from us at the point where we request information about the visitor. Simply follow the procedure outlined at each site. Likewise, we will provide users with the opportunity to change any personal information previously provided, or to opt out of receiving future email communication from us.
Access to Accounts, Online Profiles, and Orders
If you are a registered user of bumblebee.com, you can update your information online by using our Contact us form.
If you have questions about your order, you may check your order information by logging into your PayPal account.
If you have questions about your payment, please log into your PayPal account.
If you have any questions about this Policy, the Terms and Conditions, the practices of this site, your dealings with this web site, or your Personal Information, please use our contact us form.
Data Sharing Preferences
If you prefer that we not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes, you can contact us:
- By mail at:
Bumble Bee Seafoods
ATTN: Privacy Office
280 Tenth Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101
- Online by using our Contact us
Promotional or Marketing Emails: To opt-out of receiving promotional or marketing emails from Bumble Bee at a specific email address, you may:
- Use the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email sent by bumblebee.com.
- Or contact us:
By mail at:
Bumble Bee Seafoods
ATTN: Privacy Office
280 Tenth Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101
Note: It may take up to 10 business days to process your request.
Survey Emails: We may separately send surveys, via email, to our customers in order to collect opinions and feedback about their shopping and product experiences. To opt-out of receiving survey emails from Bumble Bee, you may use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any survey emails.
Specialized Email Programs: You may have signed up for one of our loyalty programs (e.g. Bee Bucks). To opt-out of receiving emails from one of those loyalty programs, you may use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of these emails.
- Or contact us:
By mail at:
Bumble Bee Seafoods
ATTN: Privacy Office
280 Tenth Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101
- Online , please use our contact us form.
Note: Operational emails (e.g. shipping confirmation or product recall information) do not provide an opt-out option.
If Bumble Bee or any of its subsidiaries is sold to or otherwise acquired by a third party, all Bumble Bee data assets will become the property of the acquiring party. Such a party will be subject to any consent(s), opt-outs or other consumer conditions on data. A change in data ownership may or may not include a notice on the Bumble Bee sites.
Information About Children Under 13
We recognize there are unique issues raised about the protection of our children’s privacy over the Internet. All children-directed Bumble Bee web sites are designed to comply with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) guidelines for web sites gathering identifiable information from children (under age 13). Consistent with these requirements and guidelines, and provided that we have been given accurate information by the child when asked, we do NOT:
- collect personally identifiable off-line contact information without prior parental consent;
- distribute to third parties any personally identifiable information without prior parental consent;
- entice children by the prospect of a special game, prize or other activity, to divulge more information than is needed to participate in the activity;
- use or disclose on-line contact information without prior parental consent or parental notification, which will include an opportunity for the parent to prevent use of the information and participation in the activity. Without prior parental consent, on-line information will only be used to respond directly to the child’s request and will not be used for other purposes without prior parental consent. We collect on-line contact information from children only in connection with on-line contests and sweepstakes; our policy with respect to using this information is provided below in the “Contests/Sweepstakes” section; or
- enable children to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information without prior parental consent.
Parents can always ask to review any Personal Information about their child that may have been collected at one of our sites, have us delete any such Personal Information, and/or instruct us not to collect or use such Personal Information about their child in the future. To do so, simply contact us following the procedure outlined below in the “Managing Your Preferences” section.
As the new technology of the Internet evolves, and the COPPA requirements and CARU guidelines evolve as well, Bumble Bee intends to comply with these requirements and guidelines in a manner and in as timely a fashion as is technologically feasible in order to protect our children and their privacy.
Our goal at Bumble Bee is to provide a safe Internet environment for you and your children. While children and young adults are encouraged to play our games and explore the web sites, we remind them often that their parents will be notified if they give us their e-mail address and their parent’s written permission is required for them to be eligible to win prizes. We urge parents to spend time with their children on our web sites. Sit with them and share the experience. While Bumble Bee does everything we can to ensure your child’s privacy and safety, informed parents are the best protectors of their children.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates’ direct marketing purposes. Bumble Bee does not share personal information with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates’ direct marketing purposes.
If you are a minor under 18 and have a profile on bumblebee.com, you may ask us to remove reviews or other content that you posted on the site by using the methods described in the “How To Contact Us” section.. We will begin to process your request within 30 days. Please note that processing your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of content that you posted.
We have put in place various procedural, technical, and administrative measures to safeguard the information we collect and use. We designed our technology-enabled services to accept orders only from Web and mobile browsers that permit communication through a Secure Socket Layer (SSL). SSL is an encryption standard that provides a layer of security while information is being transmitted over the Internet.
As a matter of policy, we do not disclose details regarding our security measures as this could be beneficial information to criminals and other bad actors.
Be advised, no security safeguards or standards are guaranteed to provide 100% security. You should always use appropriate self-protection measures and practice safe browsing on all websites.
Additionally, sometimes bad actors attempt to use our brand to create fake web pages, send fake texts or emails, and conduct other illegal activities to commit fraud or attempt to breach consumers’ security. If you receive anything with the Bumble Bee brand that seems suspicious, please call our customer service department.
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC (“Bumble Bee”) policy is to protect its own intellectual property, while respecting that of others. Intellectual property can include material protected by copyright, or a trademark.
If you believe in good faith that Bumble Bee has infringed on your rights protected by a copyright, trademark, you may file notice with our trademark department. Your notice must include:
- Your full name,
- Mailing address,
- Email address,
- Phone number,
- Complete description of protected intellectual property,
- Proof of intellectual property protection – for example, trademark number or other registration information,
- Jurisdiction in which your intellectual property is protected,
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the protected intellectual property on the Bumble Bee website (for example, a URL),
- A statement as to why you believe Bumble Bee infringed upon your protected intellectual property,
- A statement under the penalty of perjury that you, as the owner of the intellectual property, did not authorize Bumble Bee the use the intellectual property, and
- Your signature.
Please send your written notice to:
Bumble Bee Foods, LLC
280 Tenth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
Bumble Bee takes intellectual property rights seriously and will investigate the matter.