I know it is a total cliché, but when it comes to working out you do need to think of your body like a car. Sure “regular” fuel will get the job done, but put premium in that baby and watch it over-perform every time.
The ideal pre (or post) workout snack should consist of healthy fats, protein, and complex carbohydrates. Some of my personal favorites are:
- A smoothie with fresh fruit and protein powder
- SOYJOY bars or granola bars
- A banana slathered with some peanut butter
- String cheese and an apple
- Tuna or salmon with a couple of whole wheat crackers
- Yogurt and a few pistachios
Don’t feel limited though — there is a plethora of yummy, healthy workout snacks available for you to choose from. I turned to the blogosphere for some more delicious and creative ideas.
- Julie Fagan — “I absolutely love almond butter granola! It has healthy carbs, fat and protein… and it tastes delicious and is easy to grab on the go!”
- Erika Howder — “I’m old school – I still think Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich for long runs/banana with almonds for short.”
- Nicole Culver — “I love chia pudding and these vanilla goji nut balls too!”
- Laura Boll Peifer — “Homemade granola bars or pb-oat balls”
- Jess Allen – “No Bake Protein Bars.”
- Cassandra Cat Tan — “Chocolate protein pudding or these granola bars!!”
- Kathleen Uhran — Bowl of oats, 1 T chia, sliced banana, cinnamon, and heaping T nut butter!”
- Annette Perkins — “Refuel with chocolate milk!” (Read her post to see why)
- Courtney Horan — “This post-workout protein shake tasted exactly like a vanilla milkshake. It is amazing!”
- Michelle Corso — “Protein thin mints.”
- Tiffany Wolff — “Before a long run I go for banana, PB, and toast. Post-run, I have this recovery smoothie.”
What do you eat to fuel your workouts?