We love the idea of edible bowls! Fruit salad in half a cantaloupe, chili in a baked potato, stew in half a baked acorn squash, eggs baked in bell peppers, and our latest edible bowl obsession – stuffed avocados! We love them because the mild flavor and creamy texture of avocado pairs so well with sweet and/or savory flavors. Here are a few of our favorite stuffed avocados. Each one of these ideas includes a balance of nutrients (protein, fat, and carbs) in order to make it an all-in-one meal.
- Breakfast Avocado: Scramble one or two eggs, 1/3 cup chopped tomato, and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro. Spoon into avocado halves and drizzle with sriracha.
- Avocado Caprese: Toss together 1/3 cup halved red and yellow cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup tiny fresh mozzarella balls, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil and spoon into avocado halves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Strawberry Salad Avocado: Toss together 1/3 cup quartered strawberries, 2 tablespoons chopped mint, and 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese and spoon into avocado halves.
- Crunchy Tuna Avocado: Mix 1/2 can albacore tuna (drained) with 2 tablespoons each: chopped radish, chopped carrot, chopped fennel. Spoon into avocado halves and drizzle with lemon juice and a pinch of chipotle pepper powder.
- Spicy Asian Kimchi Avocado: Toss together 1/3 cup cooked brown rice, 1/4 cup diced firm tofu, 1/4 cup shredded carrot, and 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley and spoon into avocado halves. Drizzle with tamari and brown rice vinegar.
- Mango Crab Salad Avocado: Combine 1/3 cup canned chunk crab meat (drained), 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, 1/4 cup chopped mango or peach, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon lime zest, and 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro. Spoon into avocado halves.
- Asian Slaw Avocado: Combine 1/4 cup cooked un-shelled edamame, 1/3 cup shredded purple cabbage, 2 tablespoons shredded carrots, and 2 teaspoons Asian salad dressing. Spoon into avocado halves and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
Do you have any favorite fillings for avocado boats? We’d love to hear what they are!